The W3C validator does recognise "application/xhtml+xml". The problem might be that you're not checking for the W3C's user agent string when you decide which browsers to send which MIME type to. The string is "W3C_Validator".

Mordechai Peller wrote:

According to the W3C, my valid XHTML 1.1 page only validates to HTML 4.01 Strict. I'm checking for "application/xhtml+xml" in order to serve up the correct header and DOCTYPE, so apparently, their validater doesn't recognize that mime type!

It would be nice to be able to use the logo, but if anyone checks, they'll be told the wrong thing. Where this becomes a big problem is if you promise a client valid XHTML 1.1 and the validater says otherwise...