On Monday, June 21, 2004, at 05:11 PM, Michael Andrews wrote:

Hi,
Just thought I ask if there is bit of math or a web site that can accurately convert pixels to ems.
If I want to size an image in ems so it will scale with text re-sizing I kinda doing it manually at the moment by dividing by 12 and guessing from there.
I thought there might be a site somewhere that you select your font etc and imput you pixel size and it does an acurate conversion. Or am I dreeeeeaaaaammmmmm..in'

Thanks if anyone can answer

No, you're definitely dreamin'.

An 'em' is different from font to font - it refers to the width of a character, and the same character is a different width in different fonts. Ems are proportional measurements.

You have to define pixel dimensions for images because they're made up of pixels. In any case, if an image is rendered by a browser at anything other than its actual pixel dimensions it usually looks pretty ropy.

Nick
Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/