Thanks Cameron,
That will do nicely. I can stick a pixel sized image next to your page scale and I can guess from there what the ems value is. I may even stick in smaller scale divisions in to make it easier. It's visual and therefore not 100% accurate but it will help me get pretty close.
Thanks again

Michael

From: Cameron Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [WSG] pixel to ems converter
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 01:02:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ems are actually standard units that are based on what
font size your browser is set to (in some browsers),
in combination with the "font-size" property in your
CSS.

While this may correspond to the actual width of an
"m" in a font, any such correspondence is merely
coincidental -- the font type has nothing to do with
the unit "em" as it relates to CSS.

I did whip up a page that shows a rough scale of ems
for different browser variables that might help you:

http://www.themaninblue.com/writing/perspective/2004/05/27/

http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/emWidths/

Regards,
--
Cameron Adams

W: www.themaninblue.com

--- Nick Gleitzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > On Monday, June 21, 2004, at 05:11 PM, Michael > Andrews wrote: > > An 'em' is different from font to font - it refers > to the width of a > character, and the same character is a different > width in different > fonts. Ems are proportional measurements.