Didn't want to get sucked into this issue but thought ... bugger :o)

Headings go from h1 ~ 6 with no gaps; neither should they run anything other
than h1 down to h6, meaning h1, h3, h2 is not permissible ordering.

Headings assist with scanning whether or not using AT or dealing with
impaired as opposed to mainstream users. Additionally, it's worthwhile for
this very purpose to supplement primary headings (h2, h2 or h3 for
argument's sake) with a subsequent summary sentence or short paragraph to
further assist with scanning.

You're endeavouring to make the content easily summarised so users can
speedily recognise on-topic pages amongst the flotsam of search results.

Multiple h1 heading are, in my view, barely permissible only when dealing
with verbose or volumous copy, where sections of equal weight and
significance to the page topic cause challenges with the scrolled page
length. Having said that the page summary should be an h1 followed by
summary then the sections should be headed up with h2s, and so on.

Because many ATs don't read the browser title, h1 headings should be readily
synonymous with the title.

Where I think developers get confused or lazy is once they've constructed a
number of CSS-styled pages and suddenly find the h2 they want is visually
incorrect and breaks the aesthetics of a page ... never mind, the next size
fits :o( ... when in fact a bit of specificity tweaking would speedily fix
it.

Headings represent the hierarchy of summary importance, with subtopics of
not dissimilar weight (importance) carrying the same level of heading until
the theme of the page is played out to conclusion.

Mike Pepper
Accessible Web Developer
www.seowebsitepromotion.com

Administrator