I am well on the way to developing new designs for our site. However, in
having the design tested for accessibility, I have run into some problems
with the way Opera handles zooming.

My design has three columns: from left-to-right there are (1) a fixed width
column with a bit of contextual info about the Department, (2) main content
area outlining the major work of the organisation and navigation into those
areas and (3) a relatively sized column with news, features, etc.

Column 1 is fixed, mainly because it is of less importantance in terms of
overall site awareness and use and has less content. Column 3 is relatively
sized, which means that Column 2 handles whatever space is left over.

As I increase text sizes in IE and Mozilla, Column 1 remains the same
width, meaning the text and space in the other two columns remains readable
up to the largest text size in IE and at least 300% in Mozilla.

Using the zoom function in Opera, however, even Column 1 continues to scale
up in width (ie. beyond the fixed size specified). As a result, Column 2
which has the really important content starts to get squashed. At 200%
zoom, some characters in Column 2 start to leak out into Column 3, and
after that Column 2 is reduced to about one word in width.

So, what is the best way of creating a liquid layout that supports Opera's
zooming functionality. I am of course reluctant to blame the browser...

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

AS

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
 Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004