There is nothing wrong with your PHP, the Validator (just like the
browser) never sees it.

The exact error is:

Line 76, column 146: document type does not allow element "input"
here; missing one of "p", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "div",
"pre", "address", "fieldset", "ins", "del" start-tag

...="feed55d0090f3055f4e5c6f7553ff5eb" />

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which
you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that
are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This
might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've
forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put
a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline

And this is line 76 and your Form:
76:  <form action="index.php" method="post" id="submissionform"><input
type="hidden" name="PHPSESSID"
value="feed55d0090f3055f4e5c6f7553ff5eb" />
 77: <p>Username</p>
 78:   <p class="inputfield"><input size="10" type="text"
maxlength="13" name="username"/></p>
 79: <p>Password</p>
 80: <p class="inputfield"><input size="10" type="password"
maxlength="13" name="password"/></p>
 81: <p class="button"><input class="button" type="submit"
value="Logon" name="logon"/></p>
 82: </form>

But, I cannot work out why you are getting that result. Hopefully this
bit of information Ive added for you will help.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:39:40 +0000, Steven Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got a page with a small logon form, nothing major. It has a couple of
> small hurdles for validating as XHTML 1.0 strict though.
>
> The first is that XHTML doesn't support the name attribute, so of course my
> php that processes this login feature won't work with id instead of name. Is
> there something in PHP that I don't know about? Well in JavaScript I'd just
> have used the id attribute and then getElementById() in the script. But does
> PHP have this ability? Or am I just in a pickle of having to put up with it
> because its the way it is. What is the alternative to using name if you want
> to use PHP?
>
> Secondly, the page won't validate as XHTML 1.0 strict because of something
> in the said php code. Mmmm.
>
>      http://blog.lindenlangdon.com/prototype/
>
> The php code is
>           $username = strip_tags(trim($_POST['username']));
>        $password = strip_tags(trim($_POST['password']));
>
>                    if (isset($logon)) // if login is pressed
>              {
>                                         // open the database and check if the user
> exists
>                                         include("level/include/dbfuncs.inc");
>                                         $link = connectToDatabase();
>                                         if(!link)
>                                         {
>                                              print "<p>database connection
> error</p>";
>                                                          mysql_close($link);
>                                                    exit();
>                                         }
>
>                                         // run a query to get all of the user and
> password combinations
>                                         $query = "select * from member where
> username = \"$username\" &&
> password = \"$password\"";
>           $result = mysql_query($query);
>
>                                         // if one set matches
>                                   if (mysql_num_rows($result)== 1)
>                                         {
>                                                                header("location:
> level/form/submission.php");  // go to
> submission.php
>           }
>                                         else
>                                         {
>               header("location: index.php");  // go to index.php again
>           }
>                                }

> Any advice on this one would be greatly appreciated thanx. Its got me
> stumped.
>
> Steven Clark
> www.nortypig.com
> www.blog.nortypig.com

> All only $4! Get the latest mobile tones, images and logos:
> http://fun.mobiledownloads.com.au/191191/index.wl

> Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
> Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
> To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004
>
> See http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm
> for some hints on posting to the list & getting help

Freelance Website Designer/Developer
www.pixelkitty.net
www.ausblog.net