Hi Steven,

Firstly XHTML DOES support the name attribute for input elements, there is no other way to parse form data. It appears the problem lies elsewhere, not in the PHP code either.

I do recommend removing the PHPSESSID it can cause problems, there is plenty of info to remove the url rewriting that is used to ensure a session id is parsed when cookies are not available. Obviously using a login form you need the session id so I recommend using p3p to ensure cookies are employable on default browser settings. There is no other alternative if the user switches off cookies altogether though, if a user is going to be suborn and turn cookies off, they shouldn't be logging into sites anyway.

Marc.

Steven Clark wrote:

I've got a page with a small logon form, nothing major. It has a couple of small hurdles for validating as XHTML 1.0 strict though.

The first is that XHTML doesn't support the name attribute, so of course my php that processes this login feature won't work with id instead of name. Is there something in PHP that I don't know about? Well in JavaScript I'd just have used the id attribute and then getElementById() in the script. But does PHP have this ability? Or am I just in a pickle of having to put up with it because its the way it is. What is the alternative to using name if you want to use PHP?

Secondly, the page won't validate as XHTML 1.0 strict because of something in the said php code. Mmmm.

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004