.mov is QuickTime and Windows users are as likely to download and install that
as Mac users are to install Windows Media Player. And even if you use Windows
Media Player, the issue of codecs remains - not all codecs are available for
the Mac and some do not play at all or play the video with no audio. Camtasia
is a case in point.

In the absence of a common format, I always offer .wmv, .mov and .rm (Real
Player). Offering the choice takes up very little bandwidth and at least you
know that everyone can view your videos.

You could sniff for the OS and serve accordingly, or you could allow users to
choose. If you choose the latter, you need to specify which format works with
which platforms as many users don't know.

Hope this helps.