On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 09:33, Damian Sweeney wrote:
> .mov is generally not available for Linux (with the exception of
> using Codeweavers wine ($$) to run Quicktime for Windows in Linux).

The Linux mplayer plugin for Firefox [1] will play pretty much
everything I have tested, though some of the M$ formats are a bit buggy
( due to reverse engineering ) The plugin is still in development and
does hang sometimes. Having the one player for all formats is quite
good. ( excluding flash of course, which also works fine under Linux )

All in all video streaming under Linux in Firefox is looking quite good.

> .mpg works well (as it does in Mac and Windows). Only some .wmv and
> .avi files will play (not sure what the distinguishing factor is) in
> most of the players available.

A lot of different codecs exist for both wmv and avi. These file formats
are just data envelopes that hold the data, the data itself can then be
encoded using different codecs. eg. DivX, Xvid, mpeg4 etc.

>  Real media stuff is available, but
> generally a pain as you have to install a proprietary binary player,
> so they aren't well supported by distributions which makes it
> difficult to upgrade.

Linux also has the Helix and Real Player [2] for real one media formats

> Flash is available for Firefox in Linux, but once again there's the binary
> install issue.

I don't see this as an issue? Having the source for everything under
Linux would be nice, so that you could build flash into you own custom
application, but for most Linux users the pre-built Flash plugin is fine
and MM provide builds for most browsers. Opera under Linux for example
can happily use the firefox flash plugin.

Regards
Chris Blown

[1] http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net
[2] https://player.helixcommunity.org