On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:41:39 +1100, John Horner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Slightly off-[this]topic, but does anyone have an explanation for how
> vertical alignment got "missed" in the creation of CSS? This topic
> comes up again and again. I mean, forgive me for being crass, but did
> they just forget? Or was it not considered necessary?
> I imagined that they would have a big list called "Stuff You Can
> Already Do" which they worked through -- and vertical alignment
> should have been on it...
<...>

Let's recall how did we do that  "Stuff You Can Already Do" -- placing
content into the table cell and putting and using attribute
valign="middle".

Now try this:
vertical-align:middle; text-align:center; border:1px solid
red">centered</div>

The word "centered" is nicely centered (at least in FF).
Internet Explorer does not support table-cell, or table-row for
display, but this is not the fault
of CSS.

You may also be interested in this:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/equal_height/