I can gather from this exchange, although the elements have not been deprecated, they should not be included in clean semantic markup?

One could argue that the replacement of i, b, sup, sub, tt, and hr with spans, classes, and the like are equally unclean semantically. What is the semantic difference between these two bits?

Einstein's <span class="foriegnPhrase" lang="de">Gedankenexperiment</span>
about being a photon led to <span class="equation">E = mc<span
class="mathExponent">2</span></span>.

...or:

        Einstein's <i class="foriegnPhrase" lang="de">Gedankenexperiment</i>
        about being a photon led to <b class="equation">E = mc<sup
        class="mathExponent">2</sup></b>.

Since the presentational tags are empty like span, these are semantically equivalent. The difference, I suppose, is trying to be forward compatible with XHTML2 -- a ludicrous idea at this time, IMO.

This standpoint (I'm not sure I agree) I've found best articulated here:

        http://mpt.kiwiwebhost.net/archive/2004/05/02/b-and-i
        http://mpt.kiwiwebhost.net/archive/2004/05/09/semantic

--

        Ben Curtis : webwright