Vaska

> - will utf-8 suffice?

Yes - however as Peter has pointed out you may need to consider server side
aspects.

> - do I need to specify <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
> xml:lang='en' lang='en'> as ZN?  is it necessary?  Isn't utf-8 good
> enough?

You should specify the lang in the html element/s containing the text. For
example this page is in English but contains divs with other languages (FF will
get XHTML 1.1 and MSIE XHTML 1.0):

http://www.orbital.co.nz/anx/index.cfm/1,10,96,html

Johan