Vicki Berry wrote:

> if the image doesn't stretch forever
[***I can't get it to stretch at all, thats the problem***]
and isn't suitable to be repeated
> - to have a "fluid" section of the banner with a background image set
> to repeat in the CSS, and with the "un-repeatable" image on one side,
> blending it with the stretchy section with a gradient.
>
> You could adapt this if you wanted an image on both sides, creating a
> fluid mid-section.
"... with the "un-repeatable" image on one side,  blending it with the
stretchy section with a gradient."

Looks like a perfect solution. At least as perfect as can be had.
Thanks to all who ansered. Funny how it can be easily done as an image IN
the banner , but not in staylesheet.

Bruce Prochnau
BKDesign Solutions