Hi Bruce

Instead of stretching an image, try the sliding doors approach.  This may
seem odd in a photograph, but could work in situations where the image has a
repeatable section.  #wrap gets the left corner with generic content.
#innerwrap gets the right side with the juicy part of the image.  As the
page gets smaller the juicy part of the image gets closer to the left side
and overlaps the generic section. As the page gets wider, the juicy part
moves to the right unveiling the generic section.

I know this sounds really vague, but read up on the sliding doors technique.
I think stopdesign.com did a tutorial on this.  I've used it for creating a
background with distinct edges that needed to stretch.

Hope this helps.

Ted

-