I have done usability testing on both drop-down and flyout menus.

I have never, and would never, recommend sideways flyout navigation. It is just
too
difficult for people, even with normal mobility, to manipulate. And even worse,
people
blame themselves for not being able to use them, thus feeling less empowered
about
using computers. Yuck, horrid!

I have seen good results from dropdown navigation though. Providing it is
implemented in a way that is relatively 'sticky', and the box is wide enough,
people can
generally manipulate these quite easily. I have done user research for a number
of
websites and intranets where users really like them!

Although I still avoid them (I think they are often used as a crutch for poor
information
architecture), there are some advantages to using them. They do allow people to
gain
a better understanding of what is in a section, beyond what can be described in
a word
or two. This reduces the need for a lot of forward and backward clicking and
the
resulting frustration.

Donna

--