I haven't made up my mind about verbs in links yet, but a counter example to yours Richard:

However, for pages where you're asked to register for a conference, for example, there's no way you'd put:

Register for the <http://www.forbesconferences.com/?page=register>Forbes Conference.

How about:

Fill in the <a href="http://www.forbesconferences.com/?page=register";>Forbes Conference Registration Form</a>.

Damian

Damian Sweeney
Learning Skills Adviser (online)
Language and Learning Skills Unit
Instructional Designer, AIRport Project
Equity, Language and Learning Programs
University of Melbourne
723 Swanston St
Parkville 3010
www.services.unimelb.edu.au/ellp/
www.services.unimelb.edu.au/llsu/
airport.unimelb.edu.au/
ph 03 8344 9370, fax 03 9349 1039

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email or by phoning (03) 8344 9370.