The way we do it is to hand a draft design to the client that was made in
Photoshop. Once the client is happy with the design, it then goes to the
developers to do the markup. In some cases the designers will come back in
again for refinement and to solve problems if the limitations of Web
Standards are too big, but this only happens in small cases and hardly
changes the design. And our designers will always make the changes on
Photoshop while the markup is being done by the programmers.

It's probably a bigger problem if one person does both - design and markup -
as you will get new ideas while you do the coding. As you mentioned,
kvnmcwebn, that eats time. That's why we try to stick to the design the
client has approved. Otherwise you just go on making improvements forever.