I'd also add that for semantics we should be using them - so what if
search engines choose to use/not use/change they way they handle them.

Grant

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Andreas Boehmer
[Addictive Media]
Sent: Friday, 7 October 2005 2:59 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] Meta Keywords?

I would advise anybody against taking Meta Tags (description and
keywords)
out of their sites. Although major search engines have publicly declared
that they put less emphasis on the tags, there are still search engines
around that read them. Google and Yahoo never really said "we don't
support
meta tags anymore". They just say they have implemented new ways of
ranking
sites.

We leave the meta tags in all our websites and have had extremely good
results with our rankings. Of course other factors (such as cross
linking
and page content) play a huge role in the ranking as well.

BTW, even if search engines didn't put emphasis on the Meta tags, they
still
display the Meta Description in their search results (at least Google
does).
So if it's not for improving your ranking, at least put a meta
description
onto your site for the sake of informing people in a short sentence what
your site is all about.