Derek Featherstone wrote:

Agreed.  Putting them after *visually* and leaving them before in source
order, and as part of the label can be really useful - its semantically
shown in the second example on that page is useful. You could easily use
the same technique to emphasize the text "required" instead of an
asterisk.

Yes, I agree, doing both is probably a better option as the asterisks has become a standard flag for marking required fields visually. It's too hard to go back now. I'm a minimalist, so I'd just use the fieldset, but I think your solution offers better overall usability (and accessibility).

---------
Geoff