[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Not a question so much as a discussion topic -- is there a particular "look" to standards websites? Is there an aesthetic developing from the technologies we use?

Many standards websites have subtle gradients in backgrounds -- is this because designers are confident in using PNG files which do gradients better for smaller file sizes? Standards websites tend to use rounded corners -- is that because of moz-border-radius? And of course we see fewer designs these days which are just Photoshop files locked into a complex table -- designs with DIVs are more likely to have breathing space than try to be pixel-perfect.

So, is the technology dictating the look, or are all these things just accidents of history because some major relaunch like the stopdesign/AdaptivePath redesign of Blogger looked that way?

Maybe this can be identified as a trait in the many designs of developers who implement web standards, but I can't see how these attributes form marks of identification of attributes of adopting web standards (I realise this is not necessary what you are saying).

I think it's more to do with what is achieved by following web standards, and what pitfalls are avoided. I would tend to say that developers that adopt web standards are much more aware of both the pitfalls of poor web development process and the benefit of better SDLC process and also are much more focused on real world usability and accessibility issues.

http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/benefits/
http://www.webstandards.org/learn/reference/web_standards_for_business.html

etc, etc.

Geoff Deering