In a nutshell, a pattern is a "a problem which occurs over and over again … and … the core of the solution to that problem". When we build sites, unconsciously we use patterns all the time - it's just very little work has been done trying to capture and document them. That's what I've started http://webpatterns.org to do.

 I've started with site level patterns.

I'm really interested in the thoughts of all developers about the patterns which we use, so if you have a moment please come along, and contribute your thoughts and experience

Gday,

Keep in mind I am just a student, but isn't something that describes it at site level more a framework rather than a pattern?

From Wikipedia "A design pattern isn't a finished design that can be transformed directly into code <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_%28computer_programming%29>; it is a description or template for how to solve a problem that can be used in many different situations. ".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_pattern_%28computer_science%29

Isn't a pattern usually a description of how to solve generic complex issues, such as dynamic binding?

But an academic course page can't be used in a e-commerce store. It's quite specific for a particular area.

Again from Wikipedia, "a Framework can be considered as the processes and technologies used to solve a complex issue. It is the skeleton upon which various objects are integrated for a given solution."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Software+framework

So the description for the academic course page is more skeleton like which allowed integration with other various objects, and thus more framelike?

Point out to me where I have gone wrong.

Kat