designer wrote:
However, I remain confused in the particular case of the PHP approach. The PHP looks to see "if(stristr($_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT"],"application/xhtml+xml"))" and on that basis it describes the appropriate prolog, mimetype and charset. So the final three lines of the php code (where the action takes place :-) are:

   header("Content-Type: $mime;  charset=$charset");
   header("Vary: Accept");
   print $prolog_type;

One therefore assumes that the 'real http headers' ARE being used in this case. However, if I do that I can only get Chinese unless I get PHP to echo the meta tag:

Can you please make up a small sample document that clearly demonstrates this issue occurring and post a URI so that we may see it.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/