I have considered this possibility, but to be honest I find it not as
user-friendly as the other solution. In particular if the list of items is
very long, users will have to tick the radio button and then scroll to the
end of the page (or the beginning) to find the button.

So I am facing the question: make it user-friendly for the larger audience
or make it user-friendly for users of browsers that cannot display style
sheets.

I am tending towards the first.