Off-topic, in a way, but my heart sinks every time this question comes
up.

Because it comes up a lot.

I would guess that it's the most frequently asked, discussed and
argued-over question on this list. Do we have an FAQ?

> One of my favourite stats is that 30% of
> browser activity involves using the Back
> button AND that 30% of users have no idea
> what the Back button is or does.

Where does that statistic come from? Do you have a citation for that?

> I watched one user testing session last year
> involving 14 people over 5 days. 10 people
> seemed convinced that pressing Escape would
> take them back one page. When told that the
> Back button would do that for them, 8 of them
> kept trying to use the Escape key.

Without being rude, I'm rather skeptical about this, or at least I think
we need to hear more detail. Who were these people? Had they ever used a
browser before? How did they acquire this belief, when the evidence of
their own eyes contradicted it?

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.   Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments