John Horner wrote:
I'm looking at a design involving image thumbnails and the instruction
to "click images for larger version" -- I have the idea that saying
"click" is wrong, or rather the assumption that everyone is using a
mouse is wrong.

Depends on the design, of course, but how about simply "see larger version" positioned underneath individual thumbnails (if we're talking about the odd one or two thumbs interspersed over various pages)? Or, if it's like a gallery, I'd think (though depends on audience) that users are savvy enough to know that if there are loads of small images, clicking them would open a large version. Possibly just hint at this with a little magnifying glass subtly placed over the corner of each, and/or having some sort of hover/focus state that reinforces this even further?

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/