From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Paul Novitski
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 2:54 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Tiling image problem

At 5/20/2007 10:18 PM, Cole Kuryakin wrote:
>I'm setting a 1px by 770px image to repeat vertically within a wrapper div.

By the way, asking the browser to replicate a 1px-thick image will
occupy a lot more CPU cycles than if you dimension your image to be
fatter and replicate, for example, one that's 50px or 100px
thick.  In my experience the difference can be large enough to be
perceptible by a human being, i.e. a significant fraction of a second
or more for a large screen.  Generating a fatter background image can
therefore be seen as "pre-processing" with significant savings in real time.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.