Hello Thierry,

> What about marking up "*" used in forms with ABBR elements?

In your example you left the text instruction.

Thus I'd say further treatment is unnecessary. And if you change that by
removing the text instruction, there's no guarantee the user will get the
expansion. In fact, if what I understand is correct in that most screen
reader users don't expland abbreviations, they would only get "asterisk"
spoken to them. They might wonder what its significance is.

Then again, and this may be a dangerous assumption on anyone's part, one
might argue that an asterisk within a form label means that it is required
and that this is a given... that everyone knows it. Or do they? :-/

---

As an aside, if something of this sort was a viable solution, I would lean
towards using the defining instance element, DFN, to mark this up.

<dfn title="Require field">*</dfn>

But the same issue applies to DFN as it pertains to the expansion of
titles -- I think.

That's my two cents, anyway. I'll be interested in what others have to say
about this.

Cheers.
Mike Cherim
http://green-beast.com/