On 5 Jun 2007, at 19:15:39, Designer wrote:

Nick Fitzsimons wrote:

This is a common misconception. IE7 _cannot_ resize text whose size is specified in pixels, in precisely the same way that IE6 can't. The use of the page zoom tool will enlarge or shrink it along with the other content of the page, but using the menu options to adjust text size won't work.
Regards,
Nick.

Paul Novitski wrote few days ago, to point out a method which resizes the images as well as the text on page zoom. (using ems for the images). Good idea. So, I'm now curious as to why you think (infer) that IE's zoom (which does exactly that) won't replace text resizing?

The only point I was making is that it is a fallacy to suggest that IE 7 treats text sized in pixels any differently to IE 6; they've just changed the effect of certain hotkeys to use the new zoom feature, but the menu's text size options will still have no effect.

This means that a user who wishes to resize their text and automatically goes for the menu options will be out of luck with the specific example given. As the original poster seemed to believe that IE 7 would not have a problem with his pixel-sized text, I was just pointing out that it in fact would.

To me, the zoom feature of IE7 (or firefox, or Opera) means that you can resize a page constructed in pixels without hurting anyone. Doesn't it?

You can, and I can; but with the specific CSS on which I was commenting, a user who expected to be able to use the traditional menu options would be out of luck. Most users never explore new features; they tend to just do what they were taught by somebody else.

I'm not arguing that IE (and others') zoom features are a bad thing - just pointing out that IE is still broken in its text sizing. Lots of people seem to think that the new feature fixes the old bug, but it doesn't.

Cheers,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons