heh, funny, I see it as having absolute positioning within firebug when I
inspect one of the numbers in the very right column:

#result-tree .c-4 {reports-hierarchi... (line 102)
right:0px;
}
#result-tree .c-2, #result-tree .c-3, #result-tree .c-4 {reports-hierarchi...
(line 81)
position:absolute;
top:0pt;
}
p span {text.css (line 7)
color:#0099CC;
font-weight:bold;
}

Remember that firebug is showing the real-time cascade of the .c-4 styles.
Get firebug if you don't have it! It sometimes helps you diagnose greater
issues in all browsers, even if its a firefox-only extension.

In terms of the expanding/contracting feature determining if its a table or
a list: I actually believe it is safe to have this kind of UI feature within
a table cell, and the data still be tabular in nature. The expand/contract
is simply offering more detailed information for that particular cell of a
particular row.

The added semantic benefits of a table might be worth your while, besides
the fact that it will make the implementation of your css/xhtml far easier
and be visually consistent over more browsers (thinking older 5.0 browsers
here too).

With regards to that, I got a YAHOO javascript error on IE6 while trying to
expand/contract, which indicates to me that whoever is implementing the
client side is using YUI. That might not be the best choice if you are
concerned with older browsers, Yahoo have pretty much written off version 5
browsers...

Regards,
Karl

On 6/15/07, Philippe Wittenbergh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jun 15, 2007, at 10:12 AM, Taco Fleur wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can see the obvious on the following page and
> tell me
> where I've gone wrong;
>
> http://vasco.brucehighway.com/reports-hierarchical-display.htm
> in Firefox it displays the totals on the right-hand side exactly
> where I
> expect it to be.
> In Internet explorer the numbers are aligning to the document and
> not to the
> relative positioned elements as in Firefox.
Internet Explorer (6 but I've seen 7 acting up as well) doesn't know
where 'right' is. It always computes that based on the nearest
container that 'hasLayout' [1] and is positioned. In your case, I
think it is <body> (I haven't gone through all of your stylesheets).

giving the parent <p> 'layout' _might_ solve the issue.

Why not a <table> ?

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html

Philippe
---