On 05/07/07, Lucien Stals <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I like Bruce's suggestion for a break down, but he too acknowledges the
"grey area" around development. And I'd say that once you touch the db,
you are definitely back end, not front end.

In the end I guess I question the validity of defining developers in
terms of front end and back end. Can we just stick to designers and
developers?

I must admit, I tend to categorise work as front-end or back-end based on
whether or not a database (or some other data repository, such as complex
XML files) is involved. As soon as you're doing anything more than a
"static" web page, it's moved into back-end territory.

My definition of designer vs developer is these days coloured by the company
I'm working for. The designers are the people who come up with the ideas and
the layouts and the graphics. The developers are the people who write code,
be that (X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, ColdFusion, PHP, etc.

And as with everything in this industry, there are a lot of grey areas in
both sets of definitions. Some of our designers, for example, are starting
to learn a bit about (X)HTML and CSS and are providing us with basic style
sheets along with the design proofs so that we at least start with all of
the colours and sizes that they had in mind. We then tweak them as we work
to play around with positioning and all of the other complex stuff.

Just my thoughts, anyway. :)

Cheers,

Seona.