On 05/07/07, John Horner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i wouldn't advertise the fact i can do 'ALL' the jobs on my own in the
same time it
> would take a team of developers. To much hard work, so little money.

That's an interesting point in itself. Should you try to be a
"one-stop-shop"? It's certainly a lot easier for the client, but how
good can anyone's skills be if spread over five or six disciplines? I
speak as someone who discovered the "double" field in MySQL only last
week.

That's a really good point. Having worked for myself for a number of years,
trying to be a "one-stop-shop", I can vouch for the fact that it's almost
impossible to be great at everything. This was highlighted for me when I
started subbing out the design work to a graphic artist friend of mine. I
tend to sum up my skills these days as "I can make sites that look good, but
a trained graphic artist can make sites that look WOW!" :)

I do agree that it is important to be able to find your way around a
graphics program or two, both so that you can deal with the designs your
graphics person hands you and so that you can speak the same language as
them when you're talking about a job. *grin* Nothing like not understanding
the jargon to open the door to mistakes.

Cheers,

Seona.