To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] This IE8 controversy

Chris Knowles wrote:
Chris Broadfoot wrote:
Chris Knowles wrote:
 > I don't see how opting-in to standards by adding a meta tag does
 > anything for me or anyone else. Except for Microsoft of course, by
> allowing them to do the right thing at last and create a decent browser > while at the same time not doing the right thing and ignoring the mess
 > they created.

I don't think they're ignoring the "mess" they created at all.. Is adding a meta tag really too much work to provide your users/visitors the viewing experience they should have?

Yeah actually I agree, they're not ignoring the mess. Just actively covering it up by enlisting yours and my support.

My users/visitors should get the right viewing experience by default, not by having to opt-in. On the contrary, if you wish your users/visitors to NOT get the right viewing experience, is opting-out by adding a meta tag really too much work?

Too much work for those that aren't in the know.

Chris.