Chris Knowles wrote:
Yeah actually I agree, they're not ignoring the mess. Just actively covering it up by enlisting yours and my support.

My users/visitors should get the right viewing experience by default, not by having to opt-in. On the contrary, if you wish your users/visitors to NOT get the right viewing experience, is opting-out by adding a meta tag really too much work?
I've swayed back and forth on this issue and I'm still not sure what my opinion is, but I'm currently thinking along the following lines:

I don't oppose a meta tag which is effectively saying to a browser "this is what this site was developed to work in", it's basically saying to the browser that it can't promise that it'll work with future versions and it's up to the browser to decide what to do. If a browser version has relatively few rendering changes (ie any changes are either new features that won't affect existing rendering or very minor bug fixes) then the browser can say "i'm pretty sure your site will work in my new version" or if there are big changes it can say "this will probably break, i'm going to fall back to the previous version's rendering". Conceptually this is a good idea, but I am concerned with the amount of bloat and complexity this could add to browsers.

If from IE8 onwards Internet Explorer can keep on the game, then once IE6 and IE7 are down to insignificant percentages we can drop conditional comments completely. But we should still provide the http header / meta tag as a polite notice for the reasons I mentioned in the previous point.

The problem I see is that because their sites will apparantly work fine in IE8 (rendering as IE7), the web developers that are less informed will be completely unaware of the changes in the rendering engine. As a consequence we won't be closer to solving the problem that the vast majority of the web isn't using standards and as a consequence the uptake of new features won't be noticably faster.

Basically, there are two problems at hand here. Firstly, breaking the web with new browser versions. This can be addressed with this meta tag, but this solution can't work forever. Secondly, finding a way to get the websites that would break into a state that they wouldn't break. This is the difficult part and I imagine it'll require a standards drive of much greater scope than the one we experienced a few years ago.

Actually, there's a third problem, and that's the need to find a way of allowing browser manufacturers and others to innovate with new features in such a way that they can be used whilst somehow not breaking the web again. Some sort of standardised rendering extension architecture that all browsers can be used would be my suggestion, extensions could then be automatically downloaded much like new flash versions.

- Andrew Ingram