You are probably right - it's just some employers demand accreditation -
although I am in Aus not UK (so Í'm sure it's different here).  I learnt
most of my skills on the job and from books but ended up getting some kind
of accreditation as well.

Also just wanted to let you know its $50 US dollars not pounds - so you
might find it is only 25 UK pounds