Jermayn Parker wrote:

If the users are technical you would not bother designing for 800 x 600
screens

Hmmm? I wonder if that's strictly true, given the surge in ultralite notebooks like the ASUS EEEPC. My new one ( a 900 - c'mon NZCouriers, just deliver the thing!) will have 1024 as a default but my wife's 1st gen Linux one has a much smaller screen and (I think) has a max 800x600 res - I know a lot of geeks who've picked up one of these as a travelling tool because they're just that much easier to manage on a plane or in a briefcase.

I was using Her one last night to check on some details about a program we were watching on TV and getting very frustrated at having to scroll sideways to see the sidebar on the right.

Other small-form user devices will have similar issues. I think I used my Palm Tungsten PDA a whole 1 time to surf and then decided to use something else with a decent screen size.

And then there's the people who have nice big screens but have reduced viewports because using the web is only part of what they do and they really need to see as much of that spreadsheet as they can

if the users are internal and they work on smaller screens, you would.

As someone else said, fluid design is the way to go, when you know you can't control every user's technology and/or preferences. And it'll work better in the future when the technology changes again.

cheers

mark