I see where you're coming from, but let's not forget that the iPhone's
browser is (as of right now) the largest mobile browser, in the
fashion, that it is basically the same browser you get on your
computer.

That means that you can create pages a bit differently for the iPhone,
in contrast to other devices.  However, that being said, I still agree
with you.  I'd prefer a more ambiguous term, e.g.
"old-mobile.domain.com" and "new-mobile.domain.com".  Or maybe
something technical specific.  Then use iphone.domain.com to redirect
there or something.

Regards,
Svip