>> let's not forget that the iPhone's
>> browser is (as of right now) the largest mobile browser,
>
> Not true.  Opera Mini has more active users per week than iPhones that exist
> on the market.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/iphone_users_search_google_5000 :

"The Financial Times talked to Google at the Mobile World Congress in
Barcelona and found some interesting figures. iPhone users do an
average of 50 times more Google searches than their nearest
competitor."

http://localmobilesearch.net/?p=513 :

Roughly 85% of iPhone users access news and information and 59% search
on their devices. That compares with 13% and 6% in the broader market.

<...>

> Again not true.  Take the HTC Touch Diamond.  It has both a superior screen
> resolution, and similar hardware specs, and a full HTML browser (Opera
> Mobile 9.5) with arguably greater standards compliance.

Cannot tell about the mobile versions, but from what I see going on with Webkit
it is ahead of all other engines.

> And unlike Mini it has a full
> JavaScript implementation.

And let's see what's going on with JavaScript on iPhone:
http://daringfireball.net/2008/07/webkit_performance_iphone

Regards,
Rimantas
--