Victoria Legal Aid
www.legalaid.vic.gov.au
9269 0279
>>> <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org> 11/12/10 23:40 >>>

WEB STANDARDS GROUP MAIL LIST DIGEST

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22G=2ES=F8rtun=22?= <gunla...@c2i.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:57:23 +0100
Subject: Re: [WSG] all media queries in one style sheet Vs individually served

Years since I tested what browsers actually did, and much has changed
since then.

I do prefer to spread styles in logical groups over a few stylesheets,
to a certain degree. If nothing else it helps on maintenance and reuse.

> 1.    Will the desktop browser stops loading the above 3 media unless
> requested?

A browser will load everything, as long as it supports, or pretends to
support, the link or @import media and queries used. It will put styles
to use as needed and supported.

> 2.    If I link each media type individually, does the desktop browser
> actually load the above 3 style sheets?

Same answer.

> Similarly, will it not  better for targeted device not loading two of the
> media types? If a targeted device loads only the correct style sheets, it
> will be 2 HTTP requests (one for main style and one for targeted media type)
> but the file size of each style sheet is significant reduce, and this seems
> to be beneficial especially for bandwidth concerned mobile devices. Yes?

Back in the days we used link and/or @import media and queries as
filters to /hack/ browsers - to make them load or not load specific
stylesheets. Today we at least try to be a bit more advanced, and use
link and/or @import media and queries as filters to /target/ browsers
and devices - to make them load or not load specific stylesheets.
Reasons may have changed amongst conscious web designers , but browsers
are evolving, so too much deliberate filtering at the link and @import
stages may mean an existing or future browser/device that can, and
should be given a chance to, handle specific styles, won't load them.

So, it is my advice that you don't filter more than you have to at the
link and @import stages, even if that means slightly fatter stylesheets.