On 2/10/06, Paul Carvalho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there, I searched the archives but I wasn't able to find any references
> to Ruby or Watir scripts for testing Dot.Net web apps that use Biztalk.
> Biztalk is the workflow engine below the app layer (and beside the database
> server).  It doesn't have any UI presence on the web pages, but it controls
> the states of the various objects in our system.

As a matter of fact, I'm building a test framework in Ruby for a
BTS-based Integration system right now.   In a nutshell:  investigate
what protocols the SendPorts on the BTS server are using;  you'll
almost certainly be able to drive individual BTS SendPorts through
Ruby scripts (assuming that that's what you decide that you want to
do.)  For a great treatement of testing these sorts of systems, see
http://eaipatterns.com/docs/TestDrivenEAI.pdf.

>  So my question is: How do I get Ruby or Watir to wait around until an
> object is in a desired state before it can continue?
>
>  A secondary question is: How can I tell my Ruby or Watir script that if it
> waits too long, it should probably just give up and stop the test there?

This sort of question is a lot easier to answer if you post some of
the code that you've used to try to do these things.  There are a
zillion ways to do both of them, and you should see if you can find
one, first.

>  Please let me know if anyone has any experience scripting web apps with
> Biztalk or this kind of setup?

I suggest that to start, you think about this as two separate test
efforts:  one for scripting web apps (presumably with Watir); another
for scripting BizTalk tests (presumably with Ruby).  Brian Marick has
several articles and papers about testing "behind the GUI".  You
should probably read them, as well. This one is probably the most
relevant: http://www.testing.com/writings/behind-the-screens.pdf.
(BTW, I suspect that as you write more tests for each test effort,
they will eventually begin to inform each other; but don't bite off
too much at the beginning.)

I've been talking to BizTalk with Ruby every day since the summer, so
feel free to ask me specific questions about what you're up to.  Bret
and others have said plainly in the past that non-Watir subjects are
welcome on this list, as long as they have to do with Ruby and/or with
testing.

Finally, at the risk of annoying you and others, I'm going to suggest
that you (all) read Eric Raymond's "How to Ask Questions the Smart
Way".  http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html A warning,
though:  Raymond is pretty raw, uses four-letter words, might insult
your intelligence in parts.  Please take that last recommendation in
the spirit it was intended-- this is a great essay, and a seminal part
of open-source culture.
-Chris