Hi Bret,

here's my 2 New Zealand cents worth on the issue tempered somewhat by
experiences I've had over the past week or so.

Our situation:
1. Our web application uses Javascript dialogs, modal dialogs and occasionally
raises extra browser windows.
2. In order to aid the continuous testing of scripts against our web
application I've used CruiseControlRB.

What version of Ruby and WATIR do I use?
0. I use WATIR 1.5.1.1192.
1. Based on your (and other developer's) advice I use 1.8.2-14 because I *NEED*
modal dialog support.
2. On our continuous integration machine I actually use 1.8.2-14 *AND* 1.8.5-24
(because CruiseControlRB only works on 1.8.4 and above).  I specifically invoke
the 1.8.2-14 version of the Ruby interpreter from our rake script to ensure
that our test script framework can still test our web application (and its
modal dialogs).

I agree with you in principle that everyone should be using the latest versions
of Ruby but because of our current test requirements we'll continue to use
1.8.2-14.

I remember in an earlier discussion thread that there was something about
re-compiling some library to support modal dialogs on different versions of
Ruby (correct me if I've misunderstood).  Is there a better more maintainable
way to do this without coupling WATIR to a particular version of Ruby to
support modal dialogs?

Hey, don't get me wrong.  I think what you guys have done is great so far (and
getting better all the time) but I'd guess a few of us out here require modal
dialog support.

Thanks.

Regards,
Derek Wong.