We have created a new mailing list: wtr-development. This list is for discussing the versions of Watir currently in development by both developers and beta-testers. This is also a good place to discuss ideas for changing Watir, and for potential contributors to get feedback on their contributions. You can subscribe to this list at this location. I suspect that most contributors and many power users will want to join.

We agreed to create this new list about a month ago. I should note that we've been reluctant to create a separate list. One of my personal reasons for wanting this has been that i've had an increase in private email discussions with contributors and would like to open these discussions up to other potential contributors. Some of these discussions are forcing me to articulate some of the principles that i think have been important to the development of Watir.

In my view, decisions that affect the Watir community as a whole will continue to need to be discussed here (wtr-general). This includes changes that would break compatability or existing conventions. An example of this would be the recent discussion about changing the installer that we use to distribute Watir. Discussions of such issues might start on wtr-development but would need to be presented to wtr-general for community feedback.

I have, to my knowledge, configured the new list to work just like wtr-general in terms of mechanics. Please let me know if something should be changed.

Bret