Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Oct. 17, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

HOMELESS, HUNGRY AND HARASSED:
VILLAGE YOUTH FIGHT BACK WITH FIERCE!

By Imani Henry
New York

On Oct. 5, just a stone's throw away from the historic
Stonewall Inn, 350 young people participated in a rally,
march and street festival of resistance against so-called
quality of life laws.

The event was sponsored by FIERCE!, which describes itself
as a community organizing project for lesbian, gay, bi, two-
spirit and trans (LGBTST) youth." FIERCE! launched the Save
Our Space campaign in 2000.

"A staggering 35 percent of New York's 22,000 homeless youth
are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and two-spirit.
These youth and many more call the West Village home, and it
has been taken from us," explained Mervyn Marcano, a youth
organizer with FIERCE! "We face constant threats of violence
from police and residents. We are here to say 'No' to this
harassment, and reclaim this space as a public space for
all."

FIERCE's Save Our Space campaign has gained grassroots and
community support. Its goal is to dismantle quality-of-life
policies, such as a 1:00 a.m. curfew on the Hudson River
piers off the West Village. These policies have resulted in
racial and gender profiling, vigilantism by West Village
residents, and false arrests of queer youth of color.

The day began at 1 p.m. with personal narratives from adult
speakers, including LGBT activists Bob Kolber and Leslie
Feinberg. Non-LGBT adult activists and organizations took
shifts on security and logistics in solidarity with the
youth. A multinational and politically diverse group worked
together, including the NY Free Mumia Coalition, ACT-UP and
South Asian and Palestinian movements.

After a spirited march, a festival began at 5 p.m. at
Christopher and Weehawken streets that included graffiti
"battles" and an "Open Mic," a drag show and dance party.
Free food and safer-sex kits were given away.

Poets and singers then took center stage, including
playwright Renita Martin and award-winning poet Letta Neely,
who traveled from Boston to show her support for the youth.

A problem with the sound equipment appeared to cancel out a
dance party after the speak-out, to the disappointment of
the youth and adult organizers. But just as the DJ was
almost done putting away his equipment, Mark Remington, a
manager at a local gay bar, ran down the street carrying
sound equipment and speakers. With little fanfare, he set it
up.

For the last two years, Remington, a white gay man, has
defended the rights of LGBT youth of color from harassment
by residents and police brutality. His club, Chi Chi, has
also been under attack by a group called Residents in
Distress--whose acronym, RID, makes clear their racist
attitude--and by the police because its bar caters to gay
men of color.

Organizers had secured sound permits until 9:00 p.m., but
the NYPD forced them to shut down the event early, as more
young people began to gather.

The action showed the growing militancy of these youth and
their supporters. More actions are planned in the coming
months.

"Youth in the West Village need more services. We don't need
to be criminalized for our gender expression or race," says
Laura Melendez. "Real solutions need to be in place to solve
problems. We need jobs for transgender youth, affordable
housing for homeless queer youth, and access to public
space. Now that the piers are gone, LGBTST youth have
nowhere to go where they are safe, but we will continue to
fight for our space."

For more information, call FIERCE! at (646) 336-6789, ext.
105.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)