-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Nov. 28, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

ANSWER SPEAKER TELLS CROWD:
"SEE YOU IN D.C. ON JAN. 18-19"

At the School of the Americas Watch demonstration,
volunteers from Washington, Atlanta, Miami Beach, and
Charlotte, N.C. helped get the word out about the ANSWER
Coalition's People's Anti-War Referendum and Jan. 18-19 mass
actions in DC against the war in Iraq. Almost half the
people in attendance at the rallies voted no to war, and
many took referendum sheets and information back to their
cities,
promising to organize buses of people to be in the streets
of Washington. Following is a speech delivered by Sarah
Sloan.

I'm here representing the ANSWER Coalition --Act Now to Stop
War & End Racism-- as we stand in solidarity with the people
of Latin America against U.S.-sponsored terrorism. We have
been working day and night to build a movement in solidarity
with the people of Iraq, who have for the past 12 years been
the victims of the terror of U.S.-led bombings, sanctions
and covert actions.

On October 26, 200,000 people took to the streets of
Washington DC in a demonstration that was historic in that
it was a massive outpouring of opposition to the war before
it started by people who believed it could be stopped. How
many people were on the streets of DC on October 26? [Huge
cheers and applause]

We represent the billions of people around the world who
oppose this criminal war of aggression. As others have
stated, George Bush does not speak for us. Congress does not
represent us. But we have spoken with an undeniable voice to
say that the people of Iraq are not our enemies, that they
have a right to determine their own destinies free of
outside interference, and that we, the people of the United
States, need a war against poverty, a war against racism, a
war against unemployment and cuts in education and social
programs.

To help keep the momentum going, the ANSWER Coalition has
initiated a unique effort to combat any myth of consensus
that Bush tries to use the congressional and United Nations
resolutions to create. The People's Anti-War Referendum is a
campaign to get every person who opposes this criminal war
to cast a vote-a vote that, for once, will really count. You
can vote on the paper ballots that are being circulated here
today or online at www.VoteNoWar.org. Our goal is to gather
10 million signatures by January, when thousands will again
converge in Washington, DC.

On January 18-19 - the Martin Luther King anniversary
weekend and the 12th anniversary of the Gulf War-there will
be a massive march in Washington and the convening of a
People's Peace Congress that will stand as a counter to the
U.S. War Congress that does not represent the people. Buses
will travel from all over the South, East Coast and Midwest.

Both the Bush administration's threats of war against Iraq
and the School of the Americas are testaments to the fact
that Dr. King's statement, that "the greatest purveyor of
violence on the planet is the U.S. government," is as true
today as it was in the 1960s. What better way is there to
honor his legacy than to be in DC on that weekend in a
massive show of opposition to a new war in Iraq? And before
you leave today make your opposition to the war count by
joining the People's Anti-War Referendum.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)