-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Dec. 5, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

SOLDIER REFUSES IRAQ DUTY,
GETS DISCHARGE

By John Catalinotto

There are times when a vast movement of millions of people
that can change history begins with the actions of a few
individuals or even of only one person. Those trying to stop
the murderous war that the Bush administration is poised to
launch on Iraq can hope that Pvt. Wilfredo Torres is one of
the individuals whose action opens the flood gates.

Pvt. Torres has decided to refuse service in the Gulf. Tod
Ensign's Citizen Soldier group supported and defended his
stand.

Pvt. Torres took part in a meeting of veterans in New York
the day before Veterans Day, Nov. 10. He spoke at a news
conference in Washington the next day. There he explained
that he had joined the Army to "serve my country and because
I was promised college aid and skill training as a cook."

After describing various problems he had with his drill
instructors, he said he had left the Army a year before. He
then announced that out of disagreement with U.S. foreign
policy, he would refuse to be sent to the Gulf. He also
noted that "from what I've been hearing lately, our
government has done a poor job of caring for Gulf and
Vietnam vets who are sick because they served."

WW asked Tod Ensign, the director of Citizen Soldier, what
happened to Pvt. Torres. It seems he returned to the
military. He was at Ft. Knox with about 60 other GIs who
were long-term AWOLs. While Pvt. Torres was there, the base
received a call from Rolling Stone newspaper asking to
interview the GI.

The base command apparently thought it would be best to
remove the problem quickly, and the next morning issued Pvt.
Torres an "other than honorable" discharge.

For people in the anti-war movement, Pvt. Torres has taken a
more than honorable step, a courageous step. His history is
common to many now in the armed forces, and if this latest
chapter is spread far and wide throughout the U.S. military
before the invasion of Iraq begins, his response may become
a common one. n

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)