Hi Henry,

Picking and choosing some easy questions to answer
(I've very slightly updated http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell/Mac
too)

On 5 Jun 2012, at 02:52, Henry Lockyer wrote:
> Hopefully appropriate to ask for basic help on this list (?)

Just the right place for this sort of question.

It's helpful to use Gmane for searching rather than trying to puzzle through
the SF archive page, I find.

> It's for MacOS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).
>
> I just upgraded GHC to 7.0.4, 64-bit option.

Have you considered adopting some sort of package management/installation
software like Homebrew or MacPorts?

It could make life a lot easier than trying to build things by hand.

> (So, no attempt to install wxHaskell itself yet.)
>
> I then saw Unresolved QuickTime dependency on Mac OS X? on github and
> remembered I had received:
> "ld: warning: in /System/Library/Frameworks//QuickTime.framework/QuickTime,
> missing required architecture x86_64 in file"
> In fact this warning is repeated throughout the terminal output. It seems to
> occur every time there is a g++ command that
> (just a guess at this point) is linking the 2.9.3 widgets lib (has parameter
> "-L/Users/henrylockyer/wxWidgets/wxWidgets-2.9.3/build-cocoa-debug/lib",
> and also has the param "-framework QuickTime" ).

I just tend to shrug and ignore the issue myself (using a 64 bit GHC)

> I chose the 64 bit GHC option, so would I need to go back and reload this in
> 32 bit form?
>
> Before I started the install attempt I was also a little unclear from reading
> the
> page at http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell  says ver. 2.8.x is
> easiest to get working,
> but the "Building and Installing / MacOS X" linked page at
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell/MacOS_X
> only talks about wxWidgets version 2.9, implying wxHaskell 0.9, no mention of
> 0.13, so I went with 0.9.
> Is wxHaskell 0.13 also ok for MacOS X?  Would this be better?

I think the basic story is that  wxHaskell 0.13 is easier for Windows, and 0.90
for Mac. You need it for 64 bit GHC, and it works fine with 32 bit, so rather
than struggle to correctly maintain two sets of install instructions, we just
went with the latter.

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>