On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:46 AM Pär Larsson <par.lars...@umu.se> wrote:
> No, I'm afraid not. I have limited knowledge of the inner workings x2go so
> there might indeed be no point in adding more modern compression methods if
> gui widget elements are cached. But what about other graphcs, such as images
> in web browsers for example? But perhaps they are not compressed the same way?

Applications use X calls to work with images. These calls are
interpreted and the image data is compressedn and sent to the other
side and cached on both sides. Once the image has been cached
subsequent operations on/with the same image will not transfer any
image but just contain a hint where to find the image in the cache.

This approach has problems with videos as the images are different
every frame and have to be transmitted again. That's the reason videos
are sloppy in X2go/NX.

> Btw: Just read a piece of disturbing news that that Xorg now is more or less
> abandonware. I guess everyone is expecting Wayland to replace Xorg soon,
> which is bad news for those of us who rely on remote desktops.  This really
> seems like a giant leap backwards...

Well, that information's not new. Wayland has been designed for local
usage to make full use of the hardware. There's no network awareness
built into Wayland. I disregard this development, too.

As long as applications still use the X protocol (and all the toolkits
support both X and Wayland) you can still use X2go. It might happen
that someone writes an application that is only working on Wayland and
will not work with x2go but so far I have not come across such an app
(which really means nothing as I have not done any explicit research).

Uli