I get reasonable output from x2golistsessions_root.  I also see a matching
directory in /tmp/.x2go-$user/ containing 3 files:

[root@hercules C-andrew-51-1513021653_stDMATE_dp24]# ls
total 12
-rw-rw-r-- 1 andrew andrew  1 Jan 10 08:56 options
-rw-rw-r-- 1 andrew andrew 12 Jan 10 08:56 sshd.pid
-rw-rw-r-- 1 andrew andrew  8 Jan 10 08:56 state
[root@hercules C-andrew-51-1513021653_stDMATE_dp24]#

I log in successfully then double-click the session I want but nothing
happens afterwards.

/var/log/secure looks like this:
Jan 15 18:58:31 hercules sshd[56388]: Accepted password for andrew from x.x.x.x
port 39052 ssh2
Jan 15 18:58:31 hercules sshd[56388]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened
for user andrew by (uid=0)
Jan 15 18:58:40 hercules su: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user
andrew by (uid=0)
Jan 15 18:58:41 hercules su: pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user
andrew
Jan 15 18:58:41 hercules su: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user
andrew by (uid=0)
Jan 15 18:58:43 hercules su: pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user
andrew

No errors are being appended to ~/.xsession-x2go-*

Is there some other place I should be looking for errors?

I can delete the session files and then create a new one.  Or I can click
"new" instead of double-clicking on the session.  Clicking "new" will
create an additional session and when I disconnect/reconnect I now see 2
sessions.  One is status "running" and one is "suspended".  The running
one is the old one which I can still not connect to.

Thanks

-Andrew