Thanks, Ulrich!

Yes.  The whole stack is the same.  Only the OS on the client end is different.
 I Have tested connecting from CentOS 7, Fedora 32, Windows 10, Mac OSX 10.11
and 10.15.  Windows and both Linux distros play nicely.  Both OSX versions
present the lag

I've used a few VNC flavours before but not that specific one so I'll do a bit
of reading and testing before dropping it on our production server.

Still, as a troubleshooting step, to get as close as I could to your proposed
test, I just fired up TigerVNC server in the x2go session on the login node and
used a VNC client in that same x2go session to hit localhost:#.  All good.  No
lag.  While that is a functioning solution, we're trying to present an
intuitive and usable solution to new users.  X2go provides that (thanks devs!)
but telling new users "All you need to do is hook up to the VPN, connect with
x2go, then in that x2go, start vncserver, check your display number, start
vncviewer in there, to get a second desktop.  From that submit an interactive
job, and you're good to go!" may be a bit more that they're ready for.

Our hope is that we can establish what is introducing the lag, iron it out, and
keep our users in the single x2go solution. Does the VNC test above shed any
light on which layer we should be troubleshooting?

Cheers
Scott

p.s. Apologies for the double reply.  I missed the list on my first