The newest Apache license that I am aware of is 1.1 which definitely still has the acknowledgment clause. I believe there is a version of the BSD license that doesn't have it. As for changing the license to not have one,
I'm not convinced it is necessary. Providing simple acknowledgment is not a lot to ask for something that you're using for free. If you consider that advertising for the XML:DB Initiative then I don't see anything wrong with that either. It's not like the XML:DB Initiative really gets anything out of it, there is no money involved here. In fact given the nature of what the XML:DB API is for, I would think that if you implemented it you would not want to hide that fact. Can you detail more why you find this to be an issue?