On Friday, February 8, 2002, at 03:44 AM, Arno de Quaasteniet wrote:

Having though about it some more I see a typical chicken/egg problem for creating the first collection... am I right about that?

Besides that if your database doesn't support sub collections retrieving
the CollectionManagerService from a collection seems a bit illogical.

(something more or less already mentions by Dare, but I looks like you
didn't see it as a real problem)

But I do see it as a problem, which was the point I was trying to make with my Oracle example. You and Dare are correct that Services tied exclusively to collections are not intuitive and inadequate. Understand though that until I implemented the API on Oracle I'd done two other impls.
One for Xindice and the reference impl. Both of those have full hierarchies including a natural root so the problem wasn't apparent. Now it is obvious.

Regards,

Arno
Contact administrator:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Read archived messages: http://archive.xmldb.org/

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/